Making the decision to parent is a huge one and there are many avenues to explore.
- Am I ready to take on the responsibility of being a parent?
- Will I have support?
- How will this impact my life?
- What resources will I need to feel prepared?
Talking to a counsellor can help you explore this option fully, and identify programs available in your area that can assist you.
If you are in school, your school counsellor may be a good resource, or call us at Island Sexual Health Society to set up a time to meet with one of our trained support workers.
Make sure whomever you talk to is non-judgmental and offers you non-biased information on all your options equally. You should also be given the opportunity to ask questions, bring someone along with you and not feel pressured to make any decisions if you are not ready to.
In Victoria, we are lucky enough to have fabulous resources for young parents.
- Young Parent Support Network or 250-384-0552
- The Young Parent Outreach Program or 250-995-6421