We get lots of questions about masturbation! So we thought it was important to go over the basics.
Masturbation is totally healthy and normal but some people won`t feel comfortable with doing it and some won`t even be comfortable enough to even think about it! Masturbation is something that must be done in a private space and it’s a good idea to wash your hands before and after to decrease the chance of irritation and infection from common bacteria.
What is masturbation?
- Masturbation is touching your genitals or sexual organs for pleasure.
- People can masturbate alone or with another person (although it`s only masturbation if it`s your own hands and your own genitals/
- Some people use their hands or other objects like pillows, vibrators, sex toys or streams of water to masturbate.
- Some people fantasize when they masturbate and some do not.
- Many people masturbate, including people of all genders, abilities, sexualities, ethnicities, cultures, religions, and ages, and people who are single or in relationships. Research tells us that the majority of people will explore and experience their own body through masturbation and many on a regular basis.
Why do people masturbate?
- Masturbation feels good!
- Masturbation is a way to explore your body and find out what feels good to you.
- Masturbation is one of the safest ways to explore and experience sexual pleasure – there are no risks of STIs or pregnancy.
- Masturbation can help you become more comfortable with your own sexuality
- Masturbation can relieve stress and help you relax.
Can I masturbate with my partner?
- Masturbating with a partner is a great way to express your sexuality without risking sexually transmitted infections (STIs) or pregnancy. Just be sure that you keep your hands on your own body because even hand and genital contact between partners can increase the risk of STIs such as HPV and Herpes if you or your partner are infected.
Can masturbation cause any problems?
- In short, no. Masturbation cannot hurt you or physically change your body.
- You cannot go blind, grow extra hair, stunt your growth or change the size of your genitals from masturbating.
- You cannot lose sexual sensations from too much masturbation.
- Masturbation cannot make it less likely in the future to get pregnant or get someone else pregnant.
Can a person masturbate too often?
- Some people masturbate several times a day, some a few times a week, and others every once in a while. Everyone is different and it’s important to find out what feels right for you.
- You can masturbate as much as you like as long as you are still engaging other activities in your life too.
Masturbation can be a great way to learn about your body and find out what feels good for you. The bottom line is that if you decide to do it, that`s healthy and normal. If you decided not to do it, that`s healthy and normal too! It’s all about your own comfort level and you are the only person who can decide that for yourself.