Books we like
We get asked all the time for recommended reading for parents, youth, and families to help them get beyond the talk. The following books are a collection of the books we like. Many of these books should be available to borrow through your local public library or you can purchase them through your local booksellers as well. For quick reference, print off the list!
ISHS encourages each family to review materials for appropriateness for their own family’s values, beliefs and needs.
- The New Speaking of Sex: What Your Children Need to Know and When They Need to Know it. By Meg Hickling.
- Meg Hickling’s Grown-Up Sex By Meg Hickling.
- Sex & Sensibility. By Deborah Roffman.
- From Diapers to Dating: A Parent’s Guide to Raising Sexually Healthy Children. By Debra Haffner
- Beyond the Bird and the Bees: Fostering Your Child’s Healthy Sexual Development in Today’s World. By Beverly Engel.
- My Teen has Had Sex. By Maureen E. Lyon and Christina Brenda Antonaides
- The Transgender Child: A handbook for Families and Professionals. By Stephanie Brill and Rachel Pepper
For Preschool and Primary Children
- Amazing You. By Gail Saltz
- Boys, Girls and Body Science. By Meg Hickling
- It’s Not the Stork. By Robie Harris
- The Bare Naked Book. By Kathy Stinson
- Belly Buttons are Navels. By Mark Schoen
- The Very Touching Book. By Jan Hindman
- Where Did I Come From? By Peter Mayle
- What’s The Big Secret? By Laurie Brown
- It’s So Amazing. By Robie Harris
- The Family Book. By Todd Parr
- We Belong Together: A Book about Adoption and Families Together. By Todd Parr
- And Tango Makes Three. By JustRichardsons
- Asha’s Mums. By Rosamund Elwin and Michelle Paulse
- A Tale of Two Daddies By Vanita Oelschalger
- Daddy, Papa, and Me. By Leslea Newman
- Molly’s Family By Nancy Garden
- Uncle Bobby’s Wedding By Sarah Prarinen
- 10,000 Dresses. By Marcus Ewert and Rex Ray
- William’s Doll. By Charlotte Zolotow
- All I Want To Be Is Me. By Phyllis Rothblatt
- Parrotfish. By Ellen Wittlinger (grade 9+)
- Freakshow. By James St. James (grade 9+)
For Children Near/In Puberty
- It’s Perfectly Normal. By Robie Harris
- What’s Happening to Me? By Peter Mayle
- Me, Myself and I. By Louside Spilsbury
- Hair, There and Everywhere. By Jacqui Bailey
- Sex, Puberty and All That Stuff. By Jacqui Bailey
- Usborne Facts of Life Growing Up. By Susan Meredith
- On Your Mark, Get Set Grow By Lynda Madaras (for younger boys – early tween age)
- Ready, Set , Grow By Lynda Madaras (for younger girls –early tween age)
- What’s Happening to My Body book for boys. By Lynda Madaras
- What’s Happening to My Body book for girls. By Lynda Madaras
- Puberty Boy. By Geoff Price
- Puberty Girl. By Shushann Movsessian
- What’s Happening to Me? Usborne Books (Boys Edition – Alex Firth)
- What’s Happening to Me? Usborne Books (Girls Edition – Susan Meredith)
- The Boy’s Body Book. By Kelli Dunham
- The Girl’s Body Book. By Kelli Dunham
For Older Teens
- S.E.X. By Heather Corrina
- Virgin Sex for Girls. By Dr. Darcy Luadzers
- Virgin Sex for Boys. By Dr. Darcy Luadzers
- The Little Black Book for Girlz. St. Stephen’s Community House
- The Little Black Book for Boyz. St. Stephen’s Community House
For Families with Children with Learning Challenges
An excellent lending library is available through the Sunny Hill Health Centre in Vancouver. Visit their website to search resources by specific inquiries.